The Faculty Salary Equity Program was an important victory in our 2018–22 contract to address pay inequities based on gender, race, and other categories protected by our anti-discrimination article (Article 4) and across our three campuses. The rollout of this program has been both rocky and significantly delayed.
To address some of the problems that have arisen, our union reached an agreement with the university in December 2022 that revises the program to incorporate faculty review and input into the university’s consideration of equity-based salary adjustments requested by faculty applicants. However, the university’s use of a regression analysis that perpetuates campus inequities continues to be a roadblock to equity. We are fighting to have this issue addressed in the current contract campaign.
The new agreement sets forth specific deadlines for taking action, and we urge faculty with questions about these deadlines or other aspects of the program to contact the union at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The window for submitting new applications for equity adjustments is January 1 to February 28 of each academic year. Click here for the Salary Equity Review Request Form for New Applications
Applicants who applied prior to October 1, 2021 may appeal the decision in their case to the Salary Equity Appeal Committee (SEAC). The SEAC is advisory to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. Appeals must be submitted no later than January 31, 2023, using this Appeal Form to the SEAC.
Additional Information and Resources about the Salary Equity Program
For new applicants and those who applied on or after October 1, 2021:
- Salary Equity Review Request Form for New Applications
- Rutgers AAUP-AFT Model Guidelines for Application Narratives for New Applications
- Salary Equity Program Timeline and Deadlines (for new applicants and those who submitted on or after October 1, 2021)
For applicants who applied before October 2021:
Documents concerning the regression analysis:
- Understanding and Challenging the Regression Analysis
- Technical Explanation of the Regression Analysis
- Agreement between Rutgers University and Rutgers AAUP- AFT establishing the Salary Equity program (excerpted from Article 8 – Salary Provisions, Faculty Compensation Program
- Joint Statement by Rutgers University and AAUP-AFT on Revised Comprehensive Salary Equity Program
- Full Text of the December 6, 2022, Agreement between AAUP-AFT and the University Concerning the Salary Equity Program
- TO COME: Members of the Joint Salary Equity Appeals Committee (SEAC, the appeals committee for applications filed prior to October 2021)
- TO COME: Members of the Joint Salary Equity Review Committee (SERC, the appeals committee for applications filed on or after October 1, 2021)
Faculty Equity Program Co-directors:
- Cynthia Daniels, Professor, Political Science
- Dana Britton, Professor, Labor Studies