Rutgers AAUP-AFT has represented hundreds of postdoctoral associates since 2011. Postdocs are part of the same union with full-time faculty, graduate workers, and EOF counselors, but they have their own separate contract. Our union’s unity across ranks has produced greater advocacy on issues facing postdocs, such as workload protections, fair compensation, and employment support.
You can read the full text of the Tentative Agreement for the postdoctoral associate and fellow contract that our union ratified last Spring. The final text of the full contract will be posted when it is available. Click here to read a summary of all the articles in the TA. And click here to read highlights of the Tentative Agreements for all our unions.
Eight Reasons Postdocs Join Our Union
Our union is one of the strongest in US higher education, with a long history of accomplishments, including:
- Fair Salaries: A record of winning strong salary increases, with the minimum salary for postdocs increasing to $63,967 at the end of the current contract. Increase of 50.3 percent over the two most recent contracts.
- Quality Health Insurance: Access to the same state health insurance program as full-time faculty.
- Legal Support for International Postdocs: Drawing on expertise within our union and from our International.
- Strong Benefits: From caregiver support to protections against unsafe working conditions.
- Job Protections: Experienced support for promotion and reappointment applications, and a strong grievance procedure to defend faculty.
- United for Rutgers Educators: One of the few higher ed unions that unites full-time faculty, graduate workers, and postdocs, giving Rutgers AAUP-AFT more power to fight for all. Close coordination with adjunct and biomedical faculty unions and other unions representing workers at Rutgers.
- Member-Led Unionism: Commitment to member leadership in all aspects of the union and democratic decision-making.
- Social Justice and Support for Our Students: Actively building solidarity with our students and the communities around our campuses to achieve a better Rutgers for everyone.
We represent all postdocs, members or not, but we’re more effective fighting for everyone’s benefit and a better Rutgers when we organize together. If you haven’t joined your union yet, you can do so by clicking here.