In 2011, our union negotiated the first contract covering faculty and graduate workers who teach during the Winter Session and/or Summer Session—two time periods that are not considered part of the “regular” academic year by the Rutgers administration.
Read the full text of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT contract with Rutgers governing Winter-Summer Instructors.
Highlights of the Contract for Winter-Summer Instructors
The agreement between Rutgers University and the AAUP-AFT for winter-summer instructors guarantees the rights listed below. All Articles referenced below are in this contract.
- Representational rights for individuals who teach in the Winter or Summer Session (Article II.B)
- Discrimination: the right to work in an environment free of discrimination (Article III)
- Grievance procedure to address violations of the Union Agreement or University policies related to terms and conditions of employment (Article VI)
- Notice of appointment: when possible, notice of appointment must be given by May 1 for Summer Session and November 15 for Winter Session (Article VII.C)
- Letters that detail important information regarding the appointment (Article VII)
- Personnel file: the right to review and copy materials from an official personnel file and to add material to that file (Article IX)
- Health and safety: employees will not be required to work under conditions that pose a danger to health and safety and the University will provide a safe and healthful environment (Article X)
- University Policy Library: all terms and conditions of employment as applicable and set forth in the University Policy Library (Article XI and University Policy Library)
- Full library privileges (Article XII)
- Access to resources such as phone, fax, computer (Article XII)
- Reimbursement for reasonable expenses associated with assignment (Article XII)