In 2011, our union negotiated the first contract covering faculty and graduate workers who teach during the Winter Session and/or Summer Session—two time periods that are not considered part of the “regular” academic year by the Rutgers administration.
You can read the full text of the Tentative Agreement for the Winter-Summer Instructor contract that our union ratified last Spring. The final text of the full contract will be posted when it is available. Click here to read a summary of all the articles in the TA. And click here to read highlights of the Tentative Agreements for all our unions.
Highlights of the Contract for Winter-Summer Instructors
The agreement between Rutgers University and the AAUP-AFT for winter-summer instructors guarantees the rights listed below. Note: this list does not reflect the gains made with our newly ratified contract.
- Representational rights for individuals who teach in the Winter or Summer Session (Article II.B)
- Discrimination: the right to work in an environment free of discrimination (Article III)
- Grievance procedure to address violations of the Union Agreement or University policies related to terms and conditions of employment (Article VI)
- Notice of appointment: when possible, notice of appointment must be given by May 1 for Summer Session and November 15 for Winter Session (Article VII.C)
- Letters that detail important information regarding the appointment (Article VII)
- Personnel file: the right to review and copy materials from an official personnel file and to add material to that file (Article IX)
- Health and safety: employees will not be required to work under conditions that pose a danger to health and safety and the University will provide a safe and healthful environment (Article X)
- University Policy Library: all terms and conditions of employment as applicable and set forth in the University Policy Library (Article XI and University Policy Library)
- Full library privileges (Article XII)
- Access to resources such as phone, fax, computer (Article XII)
- Reimbursement for reasonable expenses associated with assignment (Article XII)