During our strike, negotiations in Trenton, with Governor Murphy’s staff participating, produced a Framework for new contracts that achieved important victories for our unions. But when the Rutgers administration came back to New Brunswick, they returned to their old tactics of delay and obstruction. There are important open issues that haven’t been addressed, so we still don’t have a full Tentative Agreement that our members can vote on.
We need to keep the pressure on, so the administration understands that we won’t be satisfied until we have a fair contract. Please fill out this membership action survey to tell us what you’re willing to do before the end of the semester to win a fair contract. We need to hear from our whole union—not just elected leadership, not just those who have participated in actions since the strike. We suspended our strike; we didn’t end it, and we need to know what everyone wants to do next to win.
In the meantime, here are some of the events we have planned for this week to keep the pressure on.
- Tuesday, April 25, 11:30 a.m.: Our staff colleagues in the Union of Rutgers Administrators-AFT are planning a protest outside bargaining at the Administrative Services Building II, 57 Route 1 S. Let’s show URA that we’re with them in their fight!
- Thursday, April 27, 6 p.m.: Support our students when they speak out against possible tuition increases at the Board of Governor’s “Open Hearing on the University’s Tuition, Fees, and Housing and Dining Charges.” Students are planning to attend the hearing in the College Avenue Student Center Multipurpose Room at 6 p.m. and to hold an informational picket outside. Click here for the Zoom link to watch the hearing online.
- Saturday, April 29: This Saturday is Rutgers Day in New Brunswick. Prospective students, their families, alumni, and the community will be invited to campus. If we don’t have a contract, we want to make it clear that the administration is at fault for our strike and the threat of more disruptions to come—so they need to agree to a fair contract that our members can vote on.
- Tuesday, April 25, 12:15 p.m.: Join our HPAE colleagues at RBHS in circling the campus to show our unity. Wear union merch, and bring pennants and signs.
- Thursday, April 27, 5:45 p.m.: Rutgers resident physicians and fellows in the Committee of Interns and Residents will hold a “unity break” to speak out for a fair contract. In the courtyard of the New Jersey Medical School, 185 S. Orange.
- Friday, April 28, 10:15 a.m.: Support our UCAN comrades as they demand movement on their contract at the NJIT presidential inauguration. Meet outside PRCC and walk over to Fenster Hall.
- Tuesday, April 25, 12:30 p.m.: Let’s turn out to support a group who supported us on our picket lines: our staff colleagues in the Union of Rutgers Administrators-AFT. Informational picket in front of the Campus Center.
Rutgers AAUP-AFT, Rutgers Adjunct Faculty Union, and AAUP-BHSNJ