Takeaway: If you are an international/immigrant scholar, please click here and take a survey to help us bring important issues to the attention of a newly formed labor-management committee.
We are writing to introduce you to the union members on the new International and Immigrant Scholars Support Committee (IISSC) established in our new contracts. We negotiated a greatly revised contract article to take up immigration issues at Rutgers. Click here to read the ratified contract for postdocs (see page 22 of the pdf).
We are asking international and immigrant scholars to click here and take a survey so we can bring important issues to the attention of the committee. Please take a few minutes to fill out this survey—and share it with colleagues who you think would appreciate having input on these questions.
In addition to contract provisions that obligate the administration to support broad visa options and safeguard those on visas against discrimination, the article establishes a labor-management committee to take up “issues related to University support for international scholars, including postdocs, faculty and graduate workers, and make recommendations to the University regarding how the University, Principal Investigators, supervisors, departments and decanal units can provide support to immigrant and international scholars.”
The members of the committee appointed by our union are:
- Hugo Bujon – Postdoctoral Associate – Africana Studies/Institute for Global Racial Justice, Camden
- Ravi Mill – Research Associate – Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Newark
- Alex Ostroverkhova – Grad Worker – Earth & Planetary Sciences, New Brunswick
- Paul O’Keefe – Assistant Teaching Professor – Geography, New Brunswick
- Andres Morera – Postdoctoral Associate – Molecular Biology & Biochemistry, New Brunswick
The members of the committee appointed by management are:
- Taja-Nia Henderson – Newark Graduate School Dean
- Mohini Mukherjee – Rutgers Global
- Asenath Dande – Rutgers Global
- Kathleen Dempsey – Office of University Labor Relations
- Jennifer Soyka – Office of the General Counsel
Todd, Becky, and Miguel
Todd Wolfson, President, Rutgers AAUP-AFT
Rebecca Givan, General Vice President, Rutgers AAUP-AFT
Miguel Rodriguez, Secretary-Treasurer, Rutgers AAUP-AFT