We are writing to let you know about a chance to get the administration to answer questions about their violations of our contract—in particular, dodging their obligation under our new contract to centrally fund raises (beyond those already budgeted for) for grant-funded faculty, postdocs, and grad workers.
As many of you who are Principal Investigators (PI) know, the administration raided grant funds to pay for those salary increases, and Chief Financial Officer J. Michael Gower—though he acknowledged that the central administration was ultimately responsible for reimbursing those funds—concocted an onerous and confusing process that shifts the burden onto PIs, departments, and schools.
Gower and New Brunswick Chancellor Francine Conway will be speaking and taking questions next Tuesday, September 26, from 3–4 p.m. in Trayes Hall in the Douglass Student Center as part of their “Operational Excellence Listening Tour.” We hope any of you who can, especially PIs, will take advantage of this opportunity to ask your questions. You can click here to RSVP and submit questions for the event—the deadline for doing so is Friday, September 22.
Among the questions you might want to ask about are:
- When are our grant accounts going to be reimbursed?
- What communications will Gower’s office distribute to help faculty understand their responsibilities in the process?
- What is the process for this fiscal year, and what will it be in the next two years?
- Does Gower understand how research has been disrupted at Rutgers by the administration’s failure to act quickly and efficiently?
- Does he realize that this process is driving research faculty away from Rutgers?
If you plan to attend, please let us know by replying to this email or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Todd, Becky, and Miguel
Todd Wolfson, President, Rutgers AAUP-AFT
Rebecca Givan, General Vice President, Rutgers AAUP-AFT
Miguel Rodriguez, Secretary-Treasurer, Rutgers AAUP-AFT