IN SUPPLEMENT TO THE 2018-22 UNIVERSITY/AAUP-AFT AGREEMENT, ARTICLE 8, PART FIVE, B.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE REQUESTING FACULTY MEMBER:
The request for an equity adjustment is initiated by the faculty member. The faculty member submits a written request via email for such an adjustment to his/her/their Dean/Director and to UHR Compensation Services simultaneously.
The faculty member’s request should include supporting documentation which may include but need not be limited to the following:
- The faculty member’s rank, department, school and field of study;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A factual statement detailing why the faculty member is requesting an equity adjustment, with supporting documentation which may include but need not be limited to teaching, research, and service achievements and accomplishments; other relevant productivity and performance indicators; information regarding the quality and/or significance of the publication outlets in which the faculty member’s work appears; notable courses and curriculum development and service to the University, the profession, and the public; and specific institutional and individual faculty comparators; and
- Other documentation the faculty member wishes to submit.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE DEAN:
- Upon receipt of the submission of the faculty member, the Dean shall communicate with Compensation Services via e-mail regarding the likely date for submission of the Dean’s written comments and materials. The Dean shall submit such comments to Compensation Services no later than four (4) weeks from receipt of the faculty member’s request.
- The written comments the Dean submits to Compensation Services, on the faculty member’s request, may include but need not be limited to:
- Concurrence or disagreement with the faculty member’s enumeration of relevant comparators;
- Concurrence or disagreement with the faculty member’s self-assessment of achievements, accomplishments, performance, and productivity; and
- Additional information as desired concerning applicable comparators, both institutional and individual, or other information the Dean deems relevant, including an overall assessment of the request for the equity adjustment.
The Dean shall also provide the requesting faculty member with a copy of the written comments provided to Compensation Services.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF COMPENSATION SERVICES:
It is recommended that Compensation Services speak with the relevant Dean or his/her/their designee at least twice within the course of its review, once at the beginning of its review and once as it is concluding its review, so that Compensation Services may be sure to incorporate the appropriate academic benchmarks and factors into its review. As it is concluding its review, it is recommended that Compensation Services inform the Dean and Chancellor of the likely results of its review, including the amount of any salary adjustment to be recommended and the information Compensation Services relied upon in arriving at its recommendation.
Compensation Services may request of the Dean and/or the faculty member any additional information it believes will be helpful in its review at any time, and may consult with the Office of Employment Equity as appropriate. Compensation Services shall also notify the faculty member and the Dean if the review will not be completed within ninety (90) working days.