The contract campaign for Postdocs is over and has resulted in full union members ratifying the improvements in postdoc working conditions!
The tentative Collective Negotiations Agreement (Memorandum of Agreement) was reached between RU management and the Postdoc Union; then, full union members of the Postdoc bargaining unit voted to ratify the Agreement. The new terms will be integrated into the parts of the 2012-2015 Postdoc CNA that are not changing. The new Agreement covers the next four years from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2019. View the Postdoc CNA page.
The Year One salary increase is being implemented as a retroactive adjustment starting on or after July 1, 2015, depending on when the postdoc employee began working.
Many provisions of the previous Agreement remain the same and the following is a summary of the changes in postdoctoral associate terms and conditions of employment. The union-negotiated Agreement sets forth minimum salary increases (not a cap). You may download a PDF document of the changes: Summary
Article VII "Salaries" in the Postdoc Collective Bargaining Agreement will be updated to include the following:
1. The minimum salary for a calendar year postdoc appointment will be increased to $40,000 and this new minimum will be effective retroactively to July 1, 2015. If any postdoc has an academic year appointment, the minimum salary will be subject to University conversion guidelines.
2. In the first year of this new Agreement, salary increases will be retroactive to July 1, 2015.
- Postdoc employees whose salaries are below the $40,000 minimum shall receive an increase to this new minimum or an increase of 2.0%, whichever is greater;
- Postdoc employees whose salaries are above the new minimum salary shall receive a salary increase of at least 2.0%;
- Any postdoc employee whose funding source provides for a salary increase in excess of the increase stated above shall receive the increase provided by the funding source.
3. Following the framework from Year One above, the salary increase for Year 2 will be at least 2.0% and will become effective on July 1, 2016.
4. Continuing to follow the framework for Year One, the salary increase for Year 3 will be at least 2.125% and will become effective on July 1, 2017.
5. Continuing to follow the framework for Year One, the salary increase for Year 4 will be at least 2.125% and will become effective on July 1, 2018.
The parties to this Collective Agreement (MOA) concur that the needs of the University research programs require access to broad visa options and support. Members of the bargaining unit shall be sponsored for visas based on research needs, Principal Investigator support, departmental and decanal unit support, and consideration of member preferences.
Side Letter of Agreement on Postdoc Support Services (AKA a Postdoc Office!)
The parties agree to meet at least once per semester during the 2015-2016 academic year to discuss the coordination of Postdoc support services across the university system and to determine the viability of a Postdoc office.