Finally, after years of advocacy, the Part-Time Lecturer Faculty Chapter AAUP-AFT has won tuition remission! Thanks to all who have worked with us to achieve this benefit.
On December 10, 2014, President Robert Barchi sent a letter to Richard Gomes, President of the Rutgers PTL Faculty Chapter, and Anne Gould, Chair of the Rutgers University Senate, stating that PTLs will now be eligible for 50% tuition remission for courses the PTLs take at Rutgers. This is an employee-only benefit and does not apply to a PTL's dependent children, spouse, or domestic partner. Barchi indicates that he has instructed his staff to work with the PTL union leadership to make the benefit available as soon as possible, preferably for the Spring 2015 semester.
This victory is one concrete example of what our PTLFC has accomplished and the value of having a union. Below are the provisions of this new benefit, which are also detailed in President Barchi's Dec 10 letter.
PTL Tuition Remission Provisions
Part-Time Lecturer faculty at Rutgers are eligible for 50% tuition remission for certain undergraduate level and graduate level courses they take, subject to the following limitations:
1. Courses that the PTL proposes to take must be related to the subject matter of courses the PTL has taught or will teach, as determined by the Department Chairperson, Program Director, or designee of the hiring department;
2. The PTL shall have taught at least two semesters within two consecutive academic years at Rutgers and a minimum of twelve (12) credits in order to be eligible for this benefit. PTLs working in PALS (Program of American Language Studies) shall have taught at least two semesters within two consecutive academic years at Rutgers and a minimum of twelve (12) course hours;
3. If the PTL teaches a minimum of three (3) credits--or three (3) course hours in the case of PALS PTLs--in a semester, he or she may be eligible to take no more than three (3) credits in that semester or the subsequent semester;
4. To take advantage of this benefit, the PTL must be admitted to one of the undergraduate, graduate, or professional divisions of the university (matriculated or non-matriculated);
5. The PTL's ability to take a course is subject to availability of seating in the course after the normal add/drop period for matriculated students;
6. In addition to bearing responsibility for 50 percent of tuition costs, the PTL shall be responsible for paying any fees associated with the course aside from tuition;
7. The PTL must be appointed as a Rutgers PTL as of the first day of class for the semester in which he or she is taking the course(s);
8. The PTL must meet all policies and requirements of the program offering the course, including but not limited to, prerequisites;
9. Tuition remission is not available to PTLs enrolled in courses during the Winter Session;
10. This benefit does not extend to dependent children, spouses, or domestic partners.