Finally, after years of persistent work, the Part-Time Lecturer Faculty Chapter (PTLFC) was able to develop a tuition remission policy with the administration. PTLs may apply after the drop-add period ends. In Spring 2015, the last day of the drop-add period is Friday, January 30. The following link goes directly to the proper form to use and the form details the conditions of application on the Rutgers University website:
The completed Tuition Remission Application must be returned to the RU Office of Academic Labor Relations (OALR) via this email: email@example.com
For questions regarding this application, please contact the Office of Academic Labor Relations at 848-932-7174.
The application has also been posted to the AAUP-AFT website: http://rutgersaaup.org/documents/application-ptl-50-tuition-remission
The following conditions govern eligibility for 50% tuition remission for Part-Time Lecturers (PTLS):
1. The PTL shall have taught two semesters within two consecutive academic years at Rutgers and a minimum of twelve (12) credits or 12 course hours;
2. PALS PTLs shall have taught at least two semesters within two consecutive academic years at Rutgers and a minimum of twelve (12) course hours;
3. If a PTL teaches a minimum of three (3) credits—or three (3) course hours in the case of PALS PTLS—in a semester, he or she may be eligible to take no more than three (3) credits in that semester or the subsequent semester;
4. The PTL must be admitted to one of the undergraduate, graduate, or professional divisions of the university (matriculated or non-matriculated);
5. The PTL must be appointed as a Rutgers PTL as of the first day of class for the semester in which he or she is taking the course(s);
6. The PTL must meet all policies and requirements of the program offering the class for the semester in which he or she is taking the course(s)
The application requires a list all PTL appointments held at Rutgers within the past two consecutive academic years, including any current PTL appointments.
PTLs need to obtain authorization of PTL employment from their department heads or dean.