Postdoc members of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT will vote on the tentative agreement that extends their contract for 4 years. Deadline for casting a ballot will be October 9, 2015 by 4pm. The Agreement contains a retroactive salary increase that will be implemented by adding the increase starting on July 1, 2015 and salary increases each of the next three years on July 1.
The new union-negotiated Agreement with RU management will be in effect (after ratification) from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2019.
The new Agreement follows the salary increase pattern that was set by the successful conclusion of negotiations for the full-time tenured, tenure-track, and non-tenure track faculty, which was ratified in April 2015. The postdoc agreement sets forth salary increases for each year on July 1st. The tentative new contract also contains agreement that the agents of the University (including Principal Investigators, department chairs, and deans) will provide visa support for international scholars who are hired as postdocs. In addition, a side letter commits RU management and the union to discuss coordination of Postdoc Support Services and determine the viability of a Postdoc office.
All provisions of the 2012-2015 Postdoc Collective Negotiations Agreement shall remain in full force and effect, except as modified in this Memorandum of Agreement (aka tentative agreement).
The details of the salary provisions in the Memorandum of Agreement are as follows:
1. Effective July 1, 2015, the minimum salary for postdoc bargaining unit employees shall be $40,000 per year for a calendar year appointment. Salaries for bargaining unit employees on academic year appointments shall be subject to University conversion guidelines.
2. Effective July 1, 2015 bargaining unit employees shall receive salary increases as follows:
a. Unit employees whose salaries are below the minimum salary shall receive the minimum salary or an increase of 2.0%, whichever is greater;
b. Unit employees whose salaries are above the minimum salary shall receive a salary increase of at least 2.0%;
c. Any unit member whose funding source provides for a salary increase in excess of the increases provided for in paragraphs a. or b. above shall receive the increase provided by the funding source.
3. The salary framework (in #2 above) will be extended for the next 3 years, with at least an additional 2% increase for July 1, 2016; 2.125% for July 1, 2017; and 2.125% for July 1, 2018.
Full members of the Postdoc Union may cast their ratification vote when they attend a meeting on Busch or Newark campuses, stop by the union office in New Brunswick, or use a ballot box location (TBA) to cast their votes from September 23, 2015 through October 9, 2015.
- Busch location: A meeting where members can discuss and cast their votes has been scheduled to take place in Room 122BC of the Busch Campus Center, 406 Bartholomew Road, Piscataway, NJ on Wednesday, September 23 from 5:30-7pm. On 9/23, drop by any time between 5:30-7pm.
- Newark location: Another meeting is scheduled for Newark-based postdocs in Room 226 in the Paul Robeson Campus Center (350 Martin Luther King Blvd) from 12pm - 1:30pm.
- A union representative will visit the Camden campus on September 29 and will be able to provide membership forms and ballots.
- AAUP-AFT office location: Members can stop by the union office at 11 Stone Street in New Brunswick (from 9 AM to 5 PM between September 23 through October 9, 2015) to cast their ballots. Membership forms are available at the office for anyone who is not yet a member. Join and vote when you stop by the office.
Postdoc union members should watch their email for announcements and/or contact the union office at 732-964-1000 to seek clarification.