The AFTNJ Nicholas Yovnello Social Justice Scholarship Award
A new scholarship was created in 2015 that is available to the family members of union members, if they are affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers-New Jersey. If you are a full member of Rutgers AAUP-AFT in any of our bargaining units, your family members are eligible, if the other eligibility criteria are met.
The scholarship was created to honor Nick Yovnello, former President of AFT College Council and longtime fighter for workers’ rights and expanded educational access.
The AFTNJ will award one scholarship of $1,000 to an eligible student activist who demonstrates a commitment to fight for social and economic justice every year.
• The AFTNJ Nicholas Yovnello Social Justice Scholarship Award is open to any AFTNJ member in good standing who has been a member for at least one year – or a family member of an AFTNJ member in good standing who has been a member for at least one year.
• For AFTNJ members or family members, the scholarship award is open to graduating high school seniors or students currently enrolled in either a public college, trade school or a union apprenticeship program.
• The scholarship award is also open to seniors, public college or trade school students currently attending an AFTNJ represented school. Applicants must submit a recommendation from an AFTNJ member in good standing.
• Children or legal dependents of AFTNJ or local union staff are also eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
• The first application deadline was Friday, June 12, 2015. All required components must be completed and received by close of business on that day. Stay tuned for the announcement for the next year.
You may also read this information and find the link to apply for this scholarship online at the AFTNJ website: http://aftnj.org/higher-education/2015-aftnj-nicholas-yovnello-social-justice-scholarship-award/