Summary of Changes in Postdoc Collective Negotiations Agreement
Ratified by Rutgers AAUP-AFT Full Union Members
On October 9, 2015, the members of the Postdoc Union ratified the tentative agreement to extend the Postdoc 2012-2015 Collective Negotiations Agreement (CNA) for four years through June 30, 2019. The new Postdoc CNA will be in effect from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2019.
The first year’s salary increase will be paid retroactive to the date the postdoc employee started to work on or after July 1, 2015. All the provisions of the 2012-2015 Collective Negotiations Agreement will remain in full force and effect and the following changes will be integrated into a new updated CNA document:
New Minimum Salary: Effective July 1, 2015, the minimum salary for all postdoc employees working in the postdoc bargaining unit will be $40,000 per year for a calendar year appointment. Salaries for bargaining unit employees on academic year appointments will be subject to University conversion guidelines.
Year One, Salary Increase of at least 2.0%: Effective July 1, 2015, bargaining unit employees will receive salary increases as follows:
- Postdoc bargaining unit employees whose salaries are below the new minimum salary of $40,000 will received the minimum salary or an increase of 2.0%, whichever is greater;
- Postdoc bargaining unit employees whose salaries are above the minimum salary will receive a salary increase of at least 2.0%;
- Any Postdoc bargaining unit employee whose funding source provides for a salary increase more than provided for in paragraphs (a) and (b) above will receive the increase provided by the funding source.
The Next 3 Years: Following the framework in #2 above, the salary increases for the next 3 years will be
- Year 2, at least 2.0% starting on July 1, 2016;
- Year 3, at least 2.125% starting on July 1, 2017;
- Year 4, at least 2.125% starting on July 1, 2018.
Visa Options and Support for International Scholars: The Rutgers University administration and the Postdoc Union, AAUP-AFT agree that the needs of the University research programs require access to broad visa options and support for international scholars hired as postdoctoral employees. Postdoc employees in the bargaining unit will be sponsored for visas based on research needs, Principal Investigator support, departmental and decanal unit support, and consideration of the postdoc’s preferences.
Side Letter of Agreement on Postdoc Support Services, not part of the new CNA: The Rutgers University administration and Postdoc Union, Rutgers AAUP-AFT, agree to meet at least once per semester during the 2015-2016 academic year to discuss the coordination of Postdoc support services across the University system and to determine the viability of a Postdoc Office.